Sunday, May 10, 2009

Flowers




At the beginning of each new year, after the Christmas decorations are taken down and I stare down at the extra pounds the eggnog and ham have added, I begin to anticipate the dawning of another season. Spring.

It cannot come soon enough, stay long enough or be bright enough to cause sensory overload...but I wish it did. I wait with baited breath from mid-January until late May just looking for those first blooms, those warming rays of sunshine and those toe-tickling tender blades of grass beneath my feet.

I always look with wonder at each flower, each petal and think upon how it unfolds, tilts its small body towards the sunshine and for a few days does nothing but stare heavenwards and sun worship.

How wonderful something so simple in its task can be so beautiful at it at the same time. Sure we have all met the people in our lives who work to make themselves beautiful and then, are vapid and do nothing with that which they have. Yet a flower, or a small child can, in simplistic beauty, be set upon by one task and in that task take on the glory of the world.

I look at a flower, simple in its design; unfold, attract so that it can be pollinated, go to seed, and die, that does its job with such beauty, grace and ease. I will to apply that ease of grace to my own life. Simple. Graceful. Tilting your head toward the sun and just be.

No comments: