Tuesday, July 14, 2009

Why I don’t listen to Country Western Music.



I know it is the most popular type of music in the country. I know that a good number of the songs are pretty cool, have a nice beat and are not that same hokey-ness that existed back in the 40s and 50s that barely crossed out of gospel to exist in country western. I know that they have finally moved beyond the whole my-dog-done-up-and-left-me-my-wife-slept-with-my-best-friend-and-my-guitar-and-I-are-walking-along-the-train-tracks-of-life kind of music.

It is better now and you can find more updated, happier themes. It is one of the few genres that is making money right now and many artists have crossed over. I was stunned the other day to see Darrius Rucker, from Hootie and The Blowfish fame, with his second chart topping hit. But while all of this is true, there is still that undercurrent of the good ol’ boy country twang, faithful to God and Country, just give me a beer and the simple life and everything will be alright, running through the music.

Now, I am not against any of that. Really, I am not. I am a southern girl. I can bake a biscuit so good it will make you wanna slap yo’ mama. I know the difference between y’all and all y’all, and use them in speech most of the time….just ask my kids.

But, there is a fine line between being a nice southern girl and getting the moniker of a redneck. One has to tread cautiously to make sure they do not cross that line. Unless of course you desire that casting, then by all means, you may throw yourself into the role with aplomb.

I, on the other hand, would like to keep that name from being associated with mine. So I tread carefully. Up until last year I lived in Tennessee. I am married to a military man. We have four kids. My husband drives a pick up truck…which he has installed a gun rack in. He shaves his head. He wears camo. He drinks beer. He chews Copenhagen. He listens to Country Western music. Do you see where I am going with this?

It is for reasons like this that I have refused to ever set foot in Dollywood. There are some actions that will just mark you for the rest of your life, no matter how hard you try to shake it off, as a redneck.

And from there, you are only a doublewide trailer, a car up on blocks and oil drum burning garbage away from being white trash.

No comments: